Personal statement essays are useful when applying for college admission or college scholarships. A personal statement essays is always submitted alongside other admission/application documents like application letter, resume and transcripts. It is very likely for a person to miss out on college admission or scholarship approval if he/she does not submit a personal statement essay that is appealing. Hence, it is critical for one to be acquainted with the structure of a personal statement essay in order to submit a quality personal statement essay that will increase his/her chances of admission or scholarship approval.
Unless it is otherwise specified by the scholarship application details, a scholarship essay should always use the below stated format:
- Double spaced
- 12-point font
- Times New Roman font
- One-inch top, bottom, and side margins
Tips for Writing a Personal Statement Essays
- Carefully read the instructions and ensure that you fully understand them before you start writing.
- Think about what you will write about and organize your thoughts into a suitable outline.
- Write your essay by expounding on each point you included in your outline.
- Use clear, simple, and concise language throughout your essay.
- When you finish writing your essay, re-read the question and then read your essay to make sure that the essay addresses every point regarding the essay.
Personal Statement Essay Sample
Since my childhood, I have always had a vivacious career goal of working as a Senior Business Process Engineer in a leading company and I have been striving to accomplish it. Part of my endeavors to objectify this career goal and lifelong dream are my solid academic background and specialization in Applied Mathematics during my undergraduate program at University X, where I acquired my Bachelor’s degree in Applied Mathematics.
My interest in Applied Mathematics was initiated by the fact that it is an essential component of Business Process Engineering, which is my preferred career goal and lifelong dream. Having acquired a Bachelor’s degree in Applied Mathematics, I currently work as a Business Process Engineer at Company Y, which has been a key step towards achieving my career goal of rising to a Senior Process Engineer at the company. Despite the fact that my career goal falls in the area of engineering, my job specification in this field requires comprehensive knowledge, skills, and expertise in Applied Mathematics, which involves the following critical functions:
- Collecting, organizing, and analyzing a wide variety of data (with SAS) to support statistical modeling work and to answer client business model questions.
- Developing statistical models.
- Working with extremely large datasets and automating reporting with a combination of R, Python, SQL, EXCEL, and BI tools.
- Designing and creating advanced predictive models (e.g. support vector machines, neural networks, decision trees) to allowing our clients to make more informed business decisions (preferably using SAS or R).
- Conducting data mining using third-party software packages and Company tools.
- Communicating findings from our analyses to internal team members and, over time, to clients.
- Documenting current system processes and procedures to identify opportunities for improvement and ways to further leverage existing technologies.
During my undergraduate program in Applied Mathematics at University X, I primarily focused on research about data analytics and mining, which has greatly supported my career path. However, the knowledge and skills that I acquired during my undergraduate program may not be sufficient to enable me fully actualize my career goal. Therefore, in order to pursue my career goal further, I would require additional knowledge, skills and expertise in various areas pertinent to Applied Mathematics, which can be best acquired through a Master’s program in Applied Mathematics from a reputable institution.
I believe in the fact that success comes to those who strive to actualize their dreams and I am one of such people who would do anything that is humanly possible to make their dreams come true. My dream is to rise to a Senior Business Process Engineer at Company Y and the surest way of achieving this dream is by pursuing a Master’s degree in Applied Mathematics. My hard work, discipline, conscientiousness, and enthusiasm in mathematics during my undergraduate program greatly contributed towards my successful completion of the program and the same will steer me through a Master’s program. I strongly believe an opportunity to undertake a Master’s program in Applied Mathematics will not only support my career path but will also be highly beneficial to the field of Applied Mathematics at large.