Quantitative Methods of Inquiry
Use reference below for data information: (1) Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. (2017). HCUP state inpatient databases (SID) file composition – number of discharges by year. URL: https://hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/state/siddist/siddist_discharge.jsp; (2) Clankie, S., & Mima, T. (2012). A brief comparison of qualitative and quantitative research methods [Video file]. URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYqDKEsy9gE; (3) Smcilquham. (2012). Quantitative vs qualitative research [Video file]. URL: https://youtu.be/MlU22hTyIs4
After you have completed the assigned readings and viewed the assigned videos, write a 500-750 word paper that addresses quantitative methods of inquiry. Use the data provided in the Topic Material, “H Cup State Inpatient Databases (SID) File Composition – Number of Discharges by Year,” and appropriate statistics to address the following:
- Describe the different quantitative methods of inquiry.
- Describe the mean, median, and mode of discharges by state in 2014.
- Compare the number of discharges in 2010, 2012, and 2015 in all states. Are there significantly more discharges in 2015 versus 2010 in all states?
- Compare the number of discharges in 2011 in: • Northwestern states (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montano, Wyoming) • Southwestern states (California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas) • Central states (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois) • Southeastern states (West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida) • Northeastern states (Main, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Washington D.C., New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland).
- Write a summary of the paper.