Principle and Practice of Marketing
Coursework Assessment – one 3000 word Marketing Plan (100%)
The assessment is to be undertaken alone, and a digital copy should be upload in to the assessment box (Turnitin) on Moodle by the date below. There is no requirement for a hard copy to be submitted. The word limit is 3000 words. Submission with a word count in excess of 3000 words will be capped at P1. The entire submission should all be contained in one Word or PDF document.
Assessment due date is in week 14 on Monday 19st April 2021 at 12 noon.
Acting as a Marketing Consultant, the brief is for you to launch a product or service of your choice onto the UK market in 2021/22. You must not choose a product or service that is already on the market, UNLESS you are planning a substantial repositioning and rebranding of that product or service. Ideally, you will consider one of the following:
- a particular product or service
- a product or service range
- an event
- another aspect which requires communication to a user/customer
You can choose a company to base your product or service on, from the following list: Aramark, Boeing, Caterpillar, DuPont, Emirates, General Electric, ICICI Bank, L’Oréal, Nairn’s Oatcakes Ltd, PayPal, Reliance Industries Ltd, Tyson Foods, Tata Consultancy Services, United Health Group; Verizon Communications, Walt Disney, Waste Management Inc.
The assessment should include the planning and implementation of an integrated, multi-tactic marketing plan. As such, students are expected to consider all elements of the marketing or services mix. In business it is important to be concise, and relevant. The word count of this report is designed to help you develop these skills.
Suggested content for Marketing Plan
- A situation analysis and summary of the key issues (internal and external) facing your organisation and which might impact on the launch of your product or service (1000 words approximately).
- An overall marketing plan including a clear and concise strategy and precisely defined objectives. You should clearly explain your target market, and outline the key elements of the marketing mix that require your attention (e.g. Relevant concepts concerning the product and brand; justification of the pricing strategy that you have decided upon; explanation and justification of your choice of distribution channels; explanation of justification of your choice of marketing communications; etc). You should also consider how issues relating to sustainability might be addressed and include ways in which you intend to measure and control outcomes (2000 words approximately).
Your report should include:
- An analysis of the internal and external environment
- Your targeting strategy
- SMART objectives
- A discussion of the relevant aspects of the marketing/services mix
- Definition of relevant and justified controls and measurements (Key Performance Indications and Critical Success Factors)
- Analysis of issues of sustainability and how these might be addressed
- A timeline for the campaign period and budget breakdown of expenditure
Please note that you are not expected to conduct any primary research